Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Embrace the call

Imagine that you had to decide today what you were going to do about something that might change the direction of your life. What would you do? Would you hesitate and put off the decision a day or two? Would you embrace it and enjoy the adventure? Would you turn it down right away and keep going the way you are going?

The answer will be different for everyone. You may have to consider the opinion of a significant other. You may have been burned in the past and are afraid it will happen again. You may be comfortable with your life as it is.

When Jesus confronted Andrew and Simon and asked them to follow him, they accepted the call without hesitation. When Jesus met Matthew at his tax station, he left it and followed Jesus that day. James and john left their nets to follow him.

Now I know it may have been different for them because they were able to look into his eyes. But that call comes to us today through people who know and love Jesus. Then they come to us and invite us to follow him.

That call came for me when I was a boy. I'm one of the lucky ones because I've had the joy of following him my whole life. His call morphed into a call to be a pastor. I used to think that meant to serve a church and minister to a small group of people who belonged there. Over the years that has changed. As I have grown in my faith and understanding of this call to follow Christ, I now understand my call to ministry as a call to serve anyone God directs to me. Believe me, God sends a lot of people my way.

The same thing is true for you. God invites us to not only follow him, but also to reach out to others with the good news. He calls us to share our lives and our stories with the people God sends across our paths. It has always been that way. We sit at his feet for a bit and then we go out to share his grace.

Meeting Jesus changes our lives. Let me tell you from personal experience that it is a good thing. So don't hesitate if he comes knocking on your door. Embrace the opportunity and go with it.

Cal

No comments: